Alexander, James M.
US industrial designer born in Chattanooga, TN who received a BS in architecture from the University of Cincinnati in 1943. One of his many co-op jobs during school years was with Raymond Loewy in New York. After graduation in 1943, he served as a 1st Lt. in the US Army, including the occupation of Japan in 1945 and 1946. He then returned to Loewy's office in New York to work full- time on a number of retail planning and transportation accounts. He received a Certificate from the Plastics Industry Technical Institute in 1947. He returned to the University of Cincinnati in 1947 as assistant professor of architecture, when the “Applied Arts” school was made a separate college with full programs including industrial design. In 1948, he became chairman of the industrial design program and served as chairman, division of design, and head of the department of industrial design from 1963 to 1971. In 1973, he became acting dean of the college of design, architecture, art and planning, and in 1976, associate dean. From 1980-1981 he served as acting director of the school of design and in 1989 was honored with the status of professor emeritus of industrial design. In 1990, he was selected as an outstanding alumnus by the university. He retired in 1992 to Wyoming, Ohio. During his career, he was a registered architect and conducted limited architectural practice from his home, with approximately 130 commissions in the Cincinnati area—including the design of his own home. He was a member of the American Society of Industrial Designers (ASID) from 1956 to 1965, member of the Industrial Design Education Association (IDEA) from 1958 until 1965, including a term as president from 1961 to 1963. An active member of IDSA from its formation in 1965, he chaired many conference sessions on education and served in a number of national positions including National Secretary 1975-1977, National Vice President, 1973-1975, and Chair of the Education Committee from 1967-1971. He was awarded IDSA Fellowship in 1971. He was also active on the Board of Directors in the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) 1974-1977. He was awarded Fellowship in NASAD in 1987. In 1990, he was awarded an Alumni Lifetime Achievement Award by the College of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning, and in 1991 he was awarded IDSA's coveted Education Award.